Sunday, November 27, 2011

An Autobiography of a Tree


I am Delonix Regia of Fabaceae family and Caesalpinioideae subfamilia. Popularly known as Gulmohar, I was planted decades back by some nature lovers and nurtured by nature. I grew up into a huge tree bearing bright yellow flowers. The red flowered neighbour of mine was felled long back to build a concrete structure. A pruning would have solved the problem, but they did not want any ‘living mast’ near them. I can spot another mutilated one faraway. Half of it is burnt down. The other half had the might to survive. 

  
Now about me. I am not as huge as the one eulogized by Thomas Hardy in 'Throwing a Tree'. Still I am the abode of cute birds that perch on my branches and chirp happily. Once in a while monkeys come and swing on my branches. Squirrels and cats are other visitors. I was happy and content until I realized that I am no more cherished. I am a trouble to my surroundings. I am marked and I will be eliminated slowly. The process has started and half of me is no more. The rest will be thrown anytime. Why can’t the people accommodate nature when nature tolerates them without any complaint?  

2 comments:

  1. Nice that you presented it as the point of view of the tree. Hope to read you more often. Good luck, Sonia.

    ReplyDelete